Find all the best Museums and Heritage sites now with us….


Military Museum, was opened in 1981, the same year as the bi-centenary of the conquest of Minorca by Spanish troops. The museum´s first home was in one of the powder magazines in the castle of San Felipe. Museo Militar Some years later the museum was transferred to the 18th century barracks of Cala Corp in the main square of Es Castell. Built by the British in 1771, during their second occupation of Menorca, it was called Georgetown after King George III. The barracks were home to the Military Hospital, Menorca´s Coastal Regiment, and finally to the Military Museum.


The Museum House of Jose Torrent is a small museum located in the old centre of Ciutadella, dedicated to the local painter José Torrent (Ciutadella 1904-1990). It displays around one hundred works, which are most representative of his different periods, as well as personal objects. There is also some information about his life. His painting developed from the impressionism of his early years to the expressionism of his later life. His very personal view of the landscape of Menorca and his use of colour has led to him being known as the “Menorcan Van Gogh”.


The Colom Island: This 59-hectare island is 200 metres off the north-east coast of Menorca, in the past it was used as a pesthouse. It boasts two beaches and features a paleochristian basilica, it used to be used as a lazaret. The private island lies in the S’Albufera des Grau Natural Park. It offers safe anchorage and may be reached by medium-sized boats if you navigate carefully.


The Museum of Menorca is the most important on the island. It is housed in the old Franciscan convent of Jesús in Maó, a Baroque building from the end of the XVII century. The heritage housed here invites us in to travel in time through Menorca’s history through materials from old collections and archaeological digs as well as gifts and loans from both private individuals and from public entities.


The castle of Santa Águeda is found near Ferrerias. It is situated over an elongated plateau, the Santa Águeda, 264 metres above sea level. This is the highest point on Menorca after Monte Toro and S’Esclusa. The castle was built during the Muslim occupation of Menorca as a safehold from danger; its exact date of construction is unknown, yet it was already mentioned in 1232. It was the last standpoint before later being destroyed by King Peter IV of Aragon.


The naveta des Tudons is the best known monument of Menorca and is a kind of tomb only found on the island. It is built with cyclopean technique, it ie medium sized stones embedded in dry, without the aid of mortar. During the archaeological excavations carried out in the 60s of last century, with the participation of Menorcan archaeologist Maria. Lluïsa Serra, disorderly hundred skeletons of individuals of both sexes and of all ages, most of which were dated to the ninth century BC were found The bodies, still in disorder, were accompanied by personal regalia that were buried: bronze bracelets, bone buttons and a bronze gun.